COVID-19 ( Corona virus disease-2019 ) is an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 ( SARS-CoV-2 ) , previously known as 2019 novel coronavirus ( 2019-NCoV ) , a species of coronavirus . The first cases were seen in Wuhan , China on 31st December 2019 before spreading globally.
The current outbreak was recognized as a pandemic on 11th March 2020 . The World Health Organisation ( WHO) initially called this illness “ novel coronavirus Infected pneumonia (NCIP)” and later had been named as “ 2019 novel coronavirus ( 2019- NCoV)” . On 11th February 2020 WHO had named this clinical condition “COVID-19” . Coincidentally, on the same day , the coronavirus study group ( CSG) of the international committee on taxonomy of viruses
renamed the virus “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) .
WHO is working 24/7 to analyse data, provide advice, coordinate with partners, help countries prepare, increase supplies and manage expert networks . These people of WHO are working day and night for their fellow people.
This hazardous virus has created a traumatic situation around the world. lacks and lacks of people had been recuperating from corona but it is still a challenge in Italy. Italy now , is in a despondent condition. We have to handle this virus in a careful manner because remember it’s a VIRUS. The whole world is in pandemonium. People say finding vaccines for corona is a cumbersome process. This egregious situation has arose only because of the carelessness of people. The ramifications that the whole world is facing are more worse. Many skilful doctors all over the world are still working on the virus to find vaccines. The whole world in incongruous.
There are 4 stages of spreading of coronavirus.
Stage 1 :
When the disease is just introduced to the population. Imported cases – only those with travel history to affected countries test positive for the infection. (NORTH KOREA)
Stage 2 :
This is when there is local transmission of disease – some of them in contact with persons with travel history in turn get affected. (INDIA)
Stage 3 :
In this stage, there is community transmission
- even people who have had no contact with the affected person and haven’t travelled to an affected country starts contracting coronavirus. Community transmissions takes place when people are not sure from where and when they were affected. Here it becomes difficult to break the chain. (JAPAN)
Stage 4 :
This is when there is a widespread outbreak , leading it to become an epidemic within the population and difficult to contain . Here, the person who spreads the infection is not known . (ITALY)
We can’t say that this virus is inexorable , it can be stopped and prevented. We have to follow the best prevention measures because this virus is sturdy.
The best way to prevent and slowdown transmission is be well informed about the COVID-19 virus , the disease it causes and how it spreads. Here are few prevention measures.
- Protect yourself and others from infection by washing your hands with soap or sanitizers containing above 60% of alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face , especially nose, eyes and mouth through which the virus enters your body.
- Coronavirus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person sneezes or coughs. So while coughing over your mouth and nose or cough into a flexed elbow.
- Using masks by infected person reduces the chances of spreading and using masks by non- infected person can prevent him from acquiring the virus.
- The pondering minds of different nations has come up with an idea of staying at home. We people should not show our audacity here. This implementation of 144 in most of the countries of the world can even annoy and irritate people. But we must understand that the situation is complicated. This is not to scare people. We can stay safe until and unless we protect ourselves , if not we Indians can see the best example of suffering , Italy.
- The most rudimentary thing for us to understand is SPACING – Social distancing, keep safe distance, quarantine. This will eventually decrease the spread of coronavirus.
- Avoid attending meetings, family functions and other gathering.
- Eat healthy food and stay healthy .
- Avoid the fear if you follow the preventive measures sincerely.
- These are few preventive measures that can be taken to break the chain.
Myth busters :
- The COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in all areas, including areas with hot and humid climate.
- Cold weather and snow cannot kill the coronavirus is a myth. The normal body temperature of human remains around 36.5°c to 37°c.
- The new coronavirus cannot be transmitted through vectors like mosquitoes and other animals.
- Hand driers are not effective in killing the coronavirus.
- Taking a hot water bath does not prevent you from coronavirus because our body temperature remains constant .
- Ultraviolet disinfection lamp cannot kill the coronavirus. It may be harmful for your skin because of the UV radiations.
- Thermal scanners can only detect people who have fever. It cannot detect people who are infected by coronavirus.
- Garlic is a healthy food that has antibiotic properties but there is no evidence existing that it can cure coronavirus.
- Coronavirus affects people of all age groups. Death rate of older people is high because of lack of immunity.
- Scientifically, an old virus has got mutated and then formed into a new virus named COVID-19. Viruses mutate naturally as part of their life cycle. The coronavirus is an RNA virus . It’s genetic material is bundled in a protein shell. When virus infects a person the genetic material enable the virus to spread by telling it how to replicate once it enters a cell . As their mutation rates are high, finding vaccines are considered as a difficult task. There are NO religious reasons behind it.
- Source/Credits: WHO
CBSE, XII Biology Student
Leave a Reply