Do you blame self when a diet plan fails or you fail to follow it? By saying there is something wrong with Me… I’m too weak…it didn’t work for me…I cant lose weight and become healthy… So on and so forth.
What you will feel, if I say there is a completely different reason why you aren’t successful in doing so? Yes! Its our sabotaging & unhelpful thoughts responsible for our failure in doing so.
In this article, we will try to understand the most common thinking errors or mistakes we do in maintain our body healthy and fit.
Well, start viewing thoughts as an organ of our body, the organ which can influence and control
- Take decision over eating
- Decide to regard or disregard a diet plan
And How we respond to the triggers like,
- Emotional and
- Mental triggers
Eating is a conscious process which involves our decision making and choices of foods and timings, we rely on the triggers which makes us act on our diet in a certain way. Eating isn’t a automatic process, so we can choose when, how, what to eat. So, the good news is that, we can learn how to take decisions to better control of our eating decisions.
Here, lets understand how your thoughts can sabotage your diet!
- They encourage you to eat more
- They allow you to disregard a diet plan
- They undermine your confidence to choose or take a decision
- They can increase your general level of stress.
If you can identify the trigger that evoke sabotaging thoughts and eat you to eat in unhelpful ways, you can minimize your exposer to them or change your response to them
It is important to identify the triggers of eating as eating begins with triggers
Apart from environmental & biological triggers that evoke the sabotaging thoughts like seeing and smelling food, hunger, thirst and craving. we can also experience following triggers which mess with our diet.
- Mental triggers: thoughts about food, watching reels/videos or reading description of food, recalling an experience, imaging eating food etc., can be mental triggers.
- Emotional triggers: eating to comfort you during an unpleasant emotional situation (like, anger, sad, frustration & boredom etc.,) to feel good about self and situation is ultimate trigger to sabotage the diet.
- Social triggers: peer pressure and situations which w fail to eat as everyone else surrounding you.
According to Aron beck’s diet solution, by understanding the triggers of sabotaging or unhelpful thoughts, you an learn how to do the following
- Modify your eating environment
- Tolerate hunger and craving
- Think differently about the food
- Deal with your emotions in a productive way
- Make eating a healthy priority.
Responding to the sabotaging and identifying unhelpful thoughts is a skill that you can use for your lifetime to keep off the excess weight permanently. The skill can be developed by applying the principles of cognitive behavioural therapy by taking professional help.
Once you know how to implement these changes in diet, you will start seeing progress and success in becoming slim & healthy which makes you more confident, improves self esteem and better health day by day permanently.
In my advice, it is always beneficial to take professional help so in case you think you need professional assistance get in touch with me. here is the link to book an appointment with me.